Friday 15 April 2016

Saltwater Crocodile


Saltwater Crocodile - Crocodylus porosus, handmade ink, handmade watercolour, white gouache on toned paper, 23 x 37 cm, © Matteo Grilli 2015


For this watercolour of a Saltwater Crocodile I used a different technique which was great fun. I laid a light wash of Burnt Umber to give an off-white tone to the paper, then I sketched a light pencil drawing of the Crocodile. Then, I decided to draw a more detailed sketch using Chinese black ink obtained from a traditional ink stick ground with some water on an ink stone (see materials on the top right hand corner of the image), the ink was then loaded on to the dipping pen's nib with a brush.


After I finished with the ink drawing, I started applying washes and glazes of watercolour.




At last I used some white gouache to highlight the colour of the teeth.





6 comments:

  1. I don't know how you get the postures so perfect, and I am in awe of your avian artworks. Unfortunately I don't have a good eye for art as much as I'd like to, but I'm only 15, so plenty of time to learn. Do you have any tips for working like this?
    Ollie Scully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep working and do not think you don't have a good eye... ;)
    All the best,
    Matteo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if you take requests, Frill Necked Lizards are fun to draw, and the results can be spectacular! I believe with the talent and attention to detail that you have, it could end up looking pretty impressive!
    Cheers,
    Ollie Scully

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to paint one, I hope to encounter one soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work, Matteo! The detail and texture is incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...