Monday 14 November 2011

Fascinating feathers


From left: Barn Owl, primary; Laughing Kookaburra, primary; Masked Lapwing, tail feather; Figbird, secondary, Laughing Kookaburra, tail feather; Bush-stone Curlew, primary.
Primary feathers: outer feathers of the wing, provide thrust and propel the bird upward and forward;
Secondary feathers: provide lift by creating the airfoil shape of the bird's wing;
Tail feathers: help the bird to brake and steer in flight.
I've been collecting birds' feathers since I was a child, when our neighbours gave us the tail feathers of the Pheasant they killed and cooked. I still think I can give feathers a second chance to be admired, weather they come from a dead bird or are naturally shed when moulting. And I still wonder how far have they travelled, what places and the secret things they lived with their owner.
Here is a selection of artworks on feathers from my shop.


5 comments:

  1. Love these drawings/paintings. Feathers are truly a marvel of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found your blog through the artists journal workshop on fb-really impressive and beautiful blog. looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such gorgeous feathers; they are fascinating indeed
    I collect them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant - and with an added bonus I learnt what primary and secondary feathers are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everybody, you're very kind!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...